Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 3: Breisach & Black Forrest, Germany

After breakfast we took buses through the cute town of Breisach and into the Black Forrest. Along the way we passed through a few cute, quaint little towns. We made two stops along the way. The first of which was a quick tour of St. Peter’s Cathedral. This non-traditional cathedral had walls of plaster and a lot of ornate paintings lining the walls. I gave it a 2/10.
Our next stop was deep in the beautiful mountains of the Black Forrest. One of the coolest (and biggest) gift shops I’ve ever been to. Full of cuckoo clocks, traditional German steins, swiss army knives, and home blown glass vases. We bought a cuckoo clock for Amber’s parents and a couple steins for ourselves.
We went across the courtyard to eat at the less popular restaurant (of the two). Unfortunately we had to leave before we had the chance to eat because our server decided to take a 5 top’s order before ours.
Once back to the ship, we had some free time, so we decided to walk around Breisach and find a place to eat. Along the way we bought a bottle of wine from a wine store and they recommended a few restaurants. We settled on one that featured traditional German dishes of the region. I had Burgundy marinated sirloin and Amber had black pepper crusted rack of lamb. Mine was better :p

We walked back to the ship and chilled in the room for a while. I decided to head to the lobby to see if I could get online and play some poker. When I came back to the room an hour and a half later, the lights were on, the window was open, Amber’s room key was on the desk, and everything else looked normal... except no Amber. I searched the boat (by this time I was the only passenger still awake), but couldn’t find her anywhere. I told the girl at the front desk that my girlfriend was missing and she helped me look, but after a few loops around the boat it was obvious to both of us that Amber was no longer on the boat.
She notified the captain, who then notified the whole crew to search the boat, but still no Amber. At this point I was starting to panic because I figured that she must have fallen out the boat and into the Rhine. The captain called all of the checkpoint stations we had passed and eventually got in touch with someone who had Amber with them. A few hours later, the police caught up with our boat and she was able to re-board the ship. She was totally disoriented and dirty, badly bruised and cold.
She still doesn’t quite know what happened. I think she must have hit her head and fallen out of the boat. She thinks she may have been sleepwalking. Regardless, I was happy that she was safe and we crashed in bed - both exhausted because at this point it was 6:00am.

Breisach - 8.5/10
Black Forrest - 10/10

4 Comments:

Blogger 81Trucolors said...

OH. MY. GOD! I'm so glad she's ok.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Is this a level?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Bag said...

If not a level... you need to greatly expound on this story!

"At this point I was starting to panic because I figured that she must have fallen out the boat and into the Rhine... Regardless, I was happy that she was safe and we crashed in bed - both exhausted because at this point it was 6:00am.

Breisach - 8.5/10
Black Forrest - 10/10"

So Amber fell out of a boat on a river in the middle of the night (ridiculous in itself), was picked up by some other boat or swam to safety, and then you felt the need to rate the Black Forrest? What is happening here?

9:16 AM  
Blogger KermyFrag said...

I told paul not to post this without further details... but, I am fine and there was no swimming involved. I will give you guys the scoop when we get back :)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home