Thursday, April 27, 2006

Day 5 - The nightmare

I had a tough time sleeping after day 4. In part, because I kept replaying hands that happened throughout the day, in part because I was nervous about the next day, and also in part, because it almost felt as though reality was a dream, and my dreams were more reality. Anyway, now that I've confused all of you, I'll tell you some of the hands from the last day. First hand of the day, I decide to raise UTG because I'm the chip leader, and I want to steal as many blinds and antes as possible before they combine tables. I raise with K6o and folds around to Patrick Antonious, who quickly moves all-in for $450,000. I was getting 2:1 on my money, and really wanted to call, but decided against it, after a very long discussion with a friend who was convinced I should fold if either Men or Patrick shoved in for their short stacks, because they would have to have monsters in order to do so. (He also told me not to raise with K6o, and I did, so I guess I should have either followed his advice from the start, or did my own thing throughout the entire hand). Then the tables broke shortly after and I drew an absolutely god-aweful seat. After about an hour of getting dealt T5o and the like things were getting pretty frustrating. I won two pots at this table. The first - folds to my cutoff, I make it $200,000 with A8o and folds. The second, folds to me on off the cutoff, I make it $130,000 with Q7o (one of my better hands of the day), BB calls. Flop comes Axx, he checks, I bet $150,000, he folds. Every other pot, I either raised preflop and someone re-raised me. Or I raised preflop and someone called and went all-in into me. Considering I didn't flop a single pair or draw all day - with the exception of a gutshot I had one time - I could never call. This is no exaggeration, I didn't flop anything! Not only that, but I was dealt A8o, A6s, 88, and 55 as my best starting hands. The next best was probably my Q7o that I took down with a bet on the flop, and every single other hand wouldn't even be played by Gus Hansen himself. Anyway, in case you couldn't tell, I was a little bitter about the whole day, and by the time AT rolled around, that was lookin a lot like AA to me, so I decided to run with it, but ran into AQ right behind me. Although it didn't affect the outcome of the hand, I was very upset with myself for not pulling a stop and go on any flop. I had enough to get him to fold if he had nothing on the flop, but got it all-in preflop instead. Anway, he would have called, because he flopped a nut flush draw with two overs and my fate was sealed in either scenario. All I can say is that was one hell of an experience, and I can't wait until my next big-buy-in tournament - most likely in Paris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home