Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Enlighten me - Master vs. Addict

I once heard that, in order to master a trade, such as dancing, skiing, or poker for that matter, one must put in 10,000 hours. My question is, at what point is the distinction made between an addict and a master of a certain trade. I mean, couldn't you say that all those people "mastering" dance or skiing were just addicts? Being addicted to something has such a negative connotation associated with it, whereas mastering something is elevated to the noble status, and it baffles me. When I tell people I play a lot of poker, they just give me the look, and I can tell exactly what they are thinking, "oh, another poker junkie, how lame". Maybe once you stop sucking at whatever your passion is, it's not addiction anymore and it morphs into mastery?

4 Comments:

Blogger GnightMoon said...

I'll enlighten you - you are not a master of poker. You're not even a master of cash game no limit Texas hold 'em.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Things you have spent 10,000 hours doing and are therefore a master of:
Sleeping
Masterbation
Breathing
Thinking about how sexy Bag is
Waiting tables
Minesweeper
Being drunk
Playing Counterstrike and Starcraft

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While addiction definitely happens before mastery, the chief difference I see is that when it's an addiction, it controls you. When it's mastery, you control it.

Addiction is slavery, mastery in enlightenment.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Kwicky said...

Wow, well put tru, I like your definitions. And bag, you forgot that I'm a master of owning Wolf's little sister in your list there

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home