Saturday, June 06, 2009

Day 14: Antwerp, Belgium

Scrambled eggs...yet again. After breakfast we took the buses into town and toured the Museum of Fine Arts. I’ve visited many museums in my travels, and I just didn’t feel like this one had much to offer. Maybe I just wasn’t feelin’ it today, but very few of the paintings kept my attention for longer than a couple minutes. I think it was in large part due to the fact that most of the paintings were dark, oil paintings. The audio device that explains some of the pieces nearly put me to sleep. I think I may have been spoiled by the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. Unfortunately we had an hour and a half to kill before leaving for the walking tour of the city.
The walking tour was worse than the museum, if you can believe it. Our tour guide was the worst yet, walking at a freaking snails pace, slurping up saliva in between each sentence, and rambling on about uninteresting facts. Amber and I ditched quickly left our group behind and toured the city ourselves. There really wasn’t anything that stood out as unique or interesting about the city. Antwerp is dirty and industrial - not really my bag. We met back up with our group and made our way back to the buses.
The highlight of the day came when I decided to grab a last minute Schoarma before leaving. We got back to the bus and had penne pasta with marinara and cream of chicken soup for lunch. I typed up a few blogs, Amber packed our bags, and we spent the rest of the day drinking yummy Belgian beer on the boat.
We ended up having a fun trip after a very rough start, but we are both more than ready to come home. I thought we were coming home on the 6th, but we actually get back on the 7th, so unfortunately I’m going straight from DIA to Las Vegas when I get back - sorry Daisy & Kitty :(

Antwerp - .5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home